The $10,000 Cvengros Scholarship 2017
The Cvengros Scholarship committee wants to make you aware of an important financial opportunity offered exclusively to HS Seniors in good standing of Mariners Ship 936.
The annual contest consists of two parts. The first part is an essay covering the candidate’s views on safety, love of others, leadership and Quartermaster achievement if applicable. The views and actions on safety around the water being paramount. The second part is the application form (see link hereunder) which captures an evaluation of the level of participation on various levels of activities (Mariners and non-Mariners) and includes an ‘unofficial’ transcript of the first 7 (seven) HS semesters . The first part is weighted at 60% of the total maximum points.
Christopher William Cvengros was for five years a very active, dedicated member of the Mariner Sea Scouts in Dana Point. His tragic death on December 15, 1996 shocked and saddened the close knit community of young people that shared with him a love of the sea and all things nautical.
His parents, Bill and Joan Cvengros, in loving memory of their son Chris have established a $10,000 college scholarship to be awarded each year. The scholarships will benefit those youth who like Chris have spent years as Mariner Sea Scouts pursuing a better knowledge and enjoyment of the sea as well as developing an emphasis on safety. Each scholarship will be awarded in equal installments over four years providing the awardees continue to show academic success in a major of their choice and maintain an overall grade of at least 2.5. And is valid till the end of 2023.
Guidelines for the Application:
1) An applicant shall submit the application form (see further), no later than 04/02/17 at 2000hrs. Accompanying the application shall be an essay written by the applicant in keeping with the guidelines prescribed in the application form. As well as the so called ‘unofficial’ transcripts of the first 7 (seven) HS semesters issued by the HS administration.
2) An applicant must be currently a member in good standing of the Mariner Sea Scouts.
3) An applicant should have been an active member of the Mariner Sea Scouts for preferably five seasons.(*)
4) An applicant should preferably have completed all of the requirements for the rank of Quartermaster except the project.(*)
5) An applicant must be contemplating full time enrollment in a college, university or vocational school.
(*) You still may want to file an application/essay even if you don’t comply with these guidelines.
Guidelines for Selection
1) All applications received by the Mariner Sea Scouts on a timely basis will be reviewed by a committee of adult advisors.
2) The committee shall forward all satisfactory applications to Mr. and Mrs. Cvengros. The Committee shall attach additional information to the applications as deemed appropriate. This additional information may contain observations relative to leadership abilities, maritime interests and financial need.
3) Mr. and Mrs. Cvengros will review the applications submitted to them by the Committee and make the final selection. Promoting safety at sea is of paramount interest to the Cvengros Family. Applicants are urged to relate ways in which they have trained, promoted and experienced success in developing water safety standards. The Mariner Program stresses love of others. Applicants are urged to relate ways in which they have understood this philosophy through their actions within Sea Scouting and their service to the community.
4) A final determination to award a scholarship, the selection of the recipient(s) and the amount to be awarded shall be made each year by Mr. and Mrs. Cvengros.
Guidelines for Award
1) The award shall be announced at the Spring Bridge Of Honor 2017 (June 7).
2) The award shall be made by the Cvengros Family directly to the institution chosen by the recipient.
Guidelines for Continuance
1) Each year after the successful completion of the recipient’s academic(**) workload, the recipient shall submit transcripts to Mr. and Mrs. Cvengros. and the Mariners Sea Scout Skipper.
2) To be eligible for the annual installment, a recipient must maintain an overall grade point average of 2.5.
3) The financial contributions are made till the end of 2023
(**) The Scholarship is applicable to any domestic, as well as international, accredited colleges
To the Applicant
Please submit the application click here together with your essay and transcripts. E-mail a scanned copy of the application, your essay and transcripts to Peter Haenebalcke (for e-mail address see members’ list) by no later than Sunday 04/02/17 at 2000hrs and also mail to Peter (for address see members’ list) a hard copy to arrive by 04/07/17 . For all additional information and or questions please contact Peter directly.
Guidelines for the Essay
The essay is the most important part of your application. It should be your expression of the reasons that you believe set you apart from the other candidates who are applying for the Cvengros Scholarship. The Cvengros Family established the scholarships to benefit those youth who like their son, Chris have spent years as a Mariner pursuing a better knowledge and enjoyment of the sea. Since Chris lost his life in a tragic accident in the ocean, Bill and Joan Cvengros have a profound interest in the promotion of safety at sea. Applicants are urged to relate ways in which they have trained, promoted and experienced success in water safety standards. Also, the Mariner Program stresses love of others. Applicants are urged to relate ways in which they have understood this philosophy through their actions within Sea Scouting and their service to the community.
In writing the essay, relate who you are, your achievements in all areas of your life, your experiences in sea scouting and your desire to promote water safety. Be sure to indicate your future plans especially plans for college, and the function that the scholarship would play in carrying out your plans.
Shallow Water Blackout Prevention
Visit www.shallowwaterblackoutprevention.org for more information or click here.
Most RECENT RECIPIENTS:
The 2016 recipient
Congratulations to Ryan Clark, the 2016 recipient of the CVENGROS SCHOLARSHIP. This was announced at the Bridge of Honor on June 15, 2016.
See Press Releases hereunder:
The 2015 recipient
Congratulations to Helen Payne, the recipient of the 2015 Cvengros Scholarship
Pictures of the award ceremony are posted on “Pictures and Videos” on our homepage under “Bridge of Honor 2015”.
The 2014 recipient
Congratulations to Josh Johnson, the recipient of the 2014 Cvengros Scholarship.
Pictures of the award ceremony are posted on “Pictures and Videos” on our homepage under “Bridge of Honor 2014”.
Congratulations to William Cox for winning the $10,000 Cvengros Scholarship! The announcement came during the Bridge of Honor on June 12 2013 at the Ocean Institute.
Dylan Delprado recieved the 2012 Cvengros Scholarship award of $10,000.
Congratulations to Dylan for this achievement, for setting an example to all Mariners. We wish him best of luck in his college studies!
And BEFORE THAT:
Noel Peake: 2011
Jeremy Robinson: 2010
Alyssa Salem: 2009
Derek Dillahunty and Leah Donohue shared the award: 2008
Serena Madison: 2007 (first year of scholarship)